Summary: In 2003, National Donate Life Month was brought to life by Donate Life America and other organizations. Celebrated every April, this month features many local and national activities that encourage people to register as a donor and celebrate those lives who have been saved by those who did choose to donate their organs. Are you a donor? Become one today! Here you can read more about how to become a donor!
Did you know that…
- Over 113,000 men, women and children are waiting for an organ transplant?
- That every ten minutes another name is added to the national transplant list?
- That nearly eight-thousand deaths occur each year before a donor organ is found or placed?
- That 22 people die each day because the organ they needed was not donated in time?
- That 82% of patients are waiting for a kidney?
- That one out of three donors is deceased after age fifty?
In 2003, National Donate Life Month was brought to life by Donate Life America and other organizations. Celebrated every April, this month features many local and national activities that encourage people to register as a donor and celebrate those lives who have been saved by those who did choose to donate their organs. Each year has a different theme, with 2020’s theme being the “Garden of Life.”
Donate Life America chose this theme to mimic a springtime garden scene, where the garden’s insects, plants and other components serve as symbols of hope, courage and having a transformation in life. They felt these themes match those that are found within the donation and transplantation process. The Garden of Life shows the ecosystem and how the interconnected living system. The Donate Life America team asks that people consider becoming a donor during this time for their organs, eyes, and body tissues.
Donate Life America asks that you participate not only by becoming a donor, but also by sharing information about the cause on your social media pages by tagging, #DonateLifeAmerica and #DonateLife on your pages during the month of April. They also want you to consider helping in these ways:
- Share information & share on social media
- Become a donor
- Help share the information presented by the Donate Life America group
- Educate others about the cause
- Join the Donate Life community
If you are interested in becoming a donor, use this link which takes you to the Donate Life page to register! If you donate your eyes, you could help save the sight of two people. Donating your organs could save up to eight people’s lives, while donating your body tissues could save up to seventy-five people! Don’t wait! Be an organ donor!